I asked if I could bring dessert to her birthday party for a lot of our extended family and some of her friends. I was planning to bring an almond torte cake, her favorite! However, she said she wasn’t really planning on having dessert, but I could bring something if it was healthy! No dessert for a birthday party?! I totally get where she is coming from, because it is easier to eat better foods if you aren’t tempted. But we needed a cake!
Well this is what I came up with… A toasted almond watermelon fruit cake!
It looked amazing and tasted delicious! People were even going back for seconds…. I heard them say, “I can have more, it’s just watermelon!” I think sometimes everyone likes a healthy option! I definitely recommend it!
What you need:
- cool whip
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup almonds
- fruit to decorate (I used strawberries and blueberries)
What to do:
- Cut the sides (rind) of the watermelon off so you are left with one big piece of watermelon.
- Spread cool whip over all sides of the watermelon.
- Melt butter on stove and add almonds. Toast about 10 minutes on low heat. Stir frequently being careful not to burn them.
- Once almonds are cool put on cake with fruit to decorate.