I have been loving beets! I eat them plain or cook them up into sides and desserts! Just one cup of this superfood is 34% of your daily need for folate (which helps lower levels of heart-threatening homo-cysteine), 15% of potassium (which reduces blood pressure levels), and 27% of manganese (which helps maintain your bones)! Plus, a lot of other benefits!
I found these at Trader Joe’s… it makes it so easy!
- 4 oz precooked peeled beets (about 2 beets)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for dish
- 6 oz chocolate
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Puree beets in a blender with orange juice until smooth.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a saucepan until smooth. About 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar. Whisk in eggs, one at a time. Stir in the beet mixture and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture and nuts to combine.
- Pour batter into a buttered 8-inch square baking dish. Bake until slightly puffed and firm to the touch, 25-30 minutes.